There is nothing wrong with a ‘wee nip’ or a square of chocolate, but whether it is surfing the web, drinking, or shopping – if it done in excess, it can become an addiction.
Addictions could cause loss of our healthy lives and jobs. Our friendships and social relationships usually also suffer.
So if you feel that you might be at risk of addiction, here are five key steps for you that you could do to regain:
- Reevaluate your life. Ask yourself why you are engaging into such behavior.
- Accept that you are out of control and commit to a change.
- Avoid people or places which reinforce your addiction.
- Reward yourself for making changes.
- Find others who will be helpful and supportive.