It’s important that family members identify the signs of depression in their elder relatives. Often senior citizens do not realize they are depressed, or do not seek treatment for emotional problems. If the following symptoms continue for more than two weeks, you need to seek medical help from a geriatric specialist, who is trained to treat elders:
- Excessive worry
- Inability to complete normal routine
- Irritability, short-temperedness
- Withdrawal from family, friends and/or normal activities
- Chronic aches or pains that cannot be attributed to other disorders In addition, if a senior citizen begins to show signs of hopelessness or expresses concern that he or she has become a burden, help should be sought immediately.
- Increased dependability on family