Food allergy is a condition where symptoms occur because of immune system’s reactions which are induced by certain type of foods. Allergic to food can be identified by the situations as:
- Intolerants to food.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Physical stress.
- Food poisoning.
When allergy had happens, you must avoid those foods that cause the allergy to prevent it from becoming more severe.
- Itchy throat.
- Anaphylaxis (could cause death).
- Stomach rigor.
- Irritation in the mouth, throat, eyes and skin.
- Skin irritation / urticaria.
- Angioedema (a swelling, similar to hives, but the swelling is beneath the skin rather than on the surface) to eyelids and lip.
- Nasal cavity obstruction / runny nose.
- Suffocating / rhonchorus breathing (wheezing breath sound).
The main objective of treatment is to reduce symptoms and avoid allergic reaction from recurring. Light symptoms do not require any treatment. It will recede within a short period of time. Skin freshener cream can be used to relieve rashes. Severe symptoms need treatment using corticosteroids.
- Avoid eating food that can cause allergy to you.
- Ask first or read the content of food ingredient to avoid allergen materials that are hidden in the food.
- Read food label and know scientific and technical terminology of food. (Milk is known as casein, protein milk and others).
- Be ready for emergency treatment. Anaphylaxis reactions caused by food allergy have the potential to cause death.
- Wear medical warning bracelet that state the allergy you suffered.