While there are treatments for some types of hepatitis, it is still a potentially dangerous disease. To prevent it:
- Wash your hands after going to the bathroom and before fixing food or eating.
- Use latex condoms, which may lower the risk of transmission.
- Avoid tap water when traveling to certain countries or regions. Ask your doctor about risks before you travel or call the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at 877-FYI-TRIP.
- Don’t share drug needles.
- Don’t share personal items – such as toothbrushes, razors and nail clippers – with an infected person.